New at the Union - The Crimson Lounge
When the Union opened its doors in January of 1957, one of the central features of the building was a spacious Student Lounge, complete with a giant fireplace, comfortable furniture, a quiet place to study or relax, and a listening room (boasting a library of popular LP's - remember those?) Ten or so years later, the building needed more space and the Student Lounge was partitioned off to make room for the Women's Resource Center.
Everything Old is New Again:
Now after nearly 4 decades, the Student Lounge is back! The Women's Resource Center has moved to a great new office on the fourth floor, and the space has been restored as the Student Lounge - The Crimson Lounge.
This time around instead of a listening room with LP's the lounge features a new Union Art Gallery, where students can enjoy rotating exhibits of student and community art. Another exciting feature is a large screen TV with satellite service for over 100 international broadcast stations so international students can get news from their native countries in their native languages and students studying a foreign language can hear news broadcasts in the language they're studying.
As in the old lounge, the new Crimson Lounge provides study areas and a place to relax and unwind. And the fireplace is back! What could be homier?
- Return and Restoration of the Student Lounge and Art Gallery
- Renovation of the space originally built as a Student Lounge (most recently occupied by the Women's Resource Center) located at the southwest corner of the building. New features include:
- Student study and lounge space
- An international media center
- Gas fire logs for the two large fireplaces
- The return of the Union Art Gallery with opening exhibit (August / September) featuring Union Concerts Poster Art highlighting 50 years of Union concerts / performers.